My Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Can you believe that January is over and that we are already in February? Before you know it the Lenten Season will be upon us! And even though time is indeed flying, I do not want us to get ahead of ourselves, as St. Francis de Sales, whose Feast Day we celebrated January 24th, reminds us, “Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day.” So, instead of looking ahead, for now let us, together, look behind at all of the wonderful events that took place at our parish during the month of January!
Here is some of what took place during the month of January:
1. New Year’s Day Meal (top row; first picture) – Over 300 members of our community joined us for New Year’s Day Dinner. You can see pictures here. Thank you to parishioner, Matt, and his team of organizers, for being the hands and feet of Christ to our neighbors!
2. Mass with Bishop Rhoades (top row; third picture) – What a BLESSING to Begin the New Year! Our former bishop, Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades, celebrated our first Mass of 2019 at St. Joseph’s for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God!
3. Father Olkowski speaks at the Lancaster Theology on Tap (middle row, first picture) – Father Olkowski spoke to several dozen Catholic young adults of Lancaster (and beyond!) on the call to saintly holiness in a time
of crisis in the Church. Father talked about how the crisis in which we find ourselves is a spiritual crisis, a spiritual battle, that requires us to remain steadfast in prayer, clinging to the Eucharist, and asking our Blessed Mother to intercede for us. Prayer is what will get us through this time.
4. Religious education teacher Christmas party (middle row, second picture) – What a joy it was for me to see teachers from my two vibrant parishes – St. Joseph’s and San Juan Bautista – come together to celebrate the Christmas season! I was not able to stop by, but Religious Education Director, Armando Torres, said, “This was our largest Christmas party to date! You could feel our Lord’s joy in our midst as teachers from both parishes came together to fellowship and share in the joy of our Lord’s birth! Teachers enjoyed a bountiful meal and “exchanged” Christmas gifts. A great time was had by all!”
5. Sanctity of Life Mass (bottom row, second picture) – Saint Joseph’s was well represented at this time of Prayer and Thanksgiving, including by the Krieger Family – Dan, Jenna and their children — Joseph, Catherine, Paul & Margaret Faustina!
6. “The Mass: What is it?” Presentation by Dr. Paul Thibault (bottom row, third picture) – Thank you to Dr. Paul Thibault for his excellent Exposition of the Holy Mass! And thank you to the over 50 faithful who attended. We hope to make the video from that evening readily available soon. In the mean time, though, do be sure to check out my previous e-mail about the Mass here. I hope to see you at daily Mass soon!
You, our selfless parishioners, never cease to amaze me. As I reflect on the happenings from this past month, I am reminded of just how truly blessed I am to be your pastor. And although this does not cover everything that took place, it it my hope that this gives you a glimpse in to all of the work that our Lord is accomplishing through all of you at our parish… I am grateful!